With as busy as work has been, I’ve had to put off writing about the spring season for the last week. And this week especially, with crappy hotel Internet, I didn’t think I would get the chance to see this show. But, the help of a coworkers portable 4G hotspot, I managed to get a 480p hard-subbed version of Gargantia. And quite honestly, it was more than enough for my first impressions of this show.
Since I’m late to game on this, I’ll just jump through my thoughts quickly, since quite honestly, this episode was a great setup, teasing and tantalizing, and leaving me wondering where it’s going to go.
– I know you have to start somewhere, but the mankind against an unstoppable foe angle, to be quite honest, has been overdone, and ridden to the grave on a skeleton horse. I kind of wish this could have been a little more original, but it is a Sci-fi Mecha show, so it fits.
– That said, the early half of the episode with the advanced civilization was very interesting. The society reminds me a little of the movie Starship Troopers. To be a citizen, you must serve. While this situation seems a little more extreme, somewhere along the lines of him probably being a test tube baby. There society is probably split between those who serve, and those reap the value.
– At least some of their science behind Black Holes is correct. It is a distortion in Space-Time, so the possibility of him traveling through time, to another location, is plausible. But again, how convenient it was that he ended up on Earth.
– I love the contrast of colors between the more technically advanced society, their enemy, and the humans on Earth. The sterile blacks and white in contrast with the colorful, animalistic looking enemy and the brighter colors of the Earth humans.
-What are the “treasures” these salvagers keep digging up? Is it stuff from Earth’s past? Is it more stuff that ended up here from the black hole jump?
– I’m really curious where and when we’ll find the Verdurous in this planet.
– What I’m not interested in is some love/hate cliché relationship between Ledo and Amy. But I know it’s going to happen. And that damn flying squirrel. Seriously?
So, what were your thoughts?